These baked sweet potato slices make a perfect side dish for the holiday table or a delicious snack. The best part about the recipe is that you can make the sweet potatoes sweet or savory.
I make these baked sweet potato slices all the time; this recipe is probably the most cooked sweet potato recipe in our house. Why?
- Sweet or savory: You can coat them with any spices you like or sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon for a sweet version.
- Great side dish: The recipe goes with most main dishes you can think of. Meat, chicken, or fish all go perfectly well with these sweet potato rounds. An excellent and healthy side dish for Christmas or Thanksgiving table.
- Great snack: Make a dip to enjoy with the roasted slices. Try them with a Cottage Cheese Dip.
- Great vegetarian main dish: Make a super healthy and filling meal by serving them with another vegetable side dish, like sauteed Brussels sprouts, for instance. Or try these Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes.
- Easy and quick: Just a few simple ingredients. And all you have to do is slice and spice the veggies; the oven will take care of the rest.
- Sweet potatoes: Red-skinned, orange-fleshed. Not to be confused with yams, another sort of root vegetable with bark-like, brown skin and starchy flesh.
- It’s preferable to get some of an even size so they can cook evenly.
- One pound (450 g) of sweet potatoes (one large) will serve two as a main dish and four as a side dish.
- Olive oil
- Spices: You can use a store-bought mixture, mix your own spices, or use only salt and pepper. I used a combination of ground cumin, coriander, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, fine sea salt, and ground black pepper.
- You can add a pinch of turmeric, one of onion powder, and some dried herbs.
- Alternative spices: Ras-el Hanout, curry powder (your favorite kind), Cajun spices, Italian seasoning, Herbs de Provence, a general sweet potato or plain potato seasoning mix, and so on.
- Alternatively, you can make a sweet version of these sweet potato rounds and sprinkle the slices with a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon that help bring out the natural sweetness of these root vegetables. When making the sweet version, you can use melted coconut oil or melted butter instead of olive oil.
How to roast sweet potato slices?
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into even, thick rounds using a large, sharp knife. Place them in a large mixing bowl (1).
- Season: Pour a little olive oil on top and toss to coat the slices.
- Savory version: Add all the spices and toss well to coat the sweet potato pieces all over.
- Sweet version: Add cinnamon and brown sugar and toss well.
- Bake: Arrange the sliced sweet potato on a large sheet pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper in a single layer (2). Bake in the hot oven for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender (3).
For perfect roasted sweet potatoes, ensure that you slice the rounds evenly; they should all be evenly thick so that they all cook evenly. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the slices.
Spread them on the baking sheet in a single layer, and use a second baking sheet if you are making a large batch. They should not be too crowded or overlapping, or the slices will steam and turn somewhat mushy instead of being nicely roasted.
The baked sweet potato recipe can be easily doubled. In this case, you will need two baking trays.
Sure, you can roast the sweet potato slices in the preheated air fryer at 350°F/ 180°C for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender. Or try the Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes.
You don’t have to, but I always do. I was never keen on the peel; it ruins the tender melt-in-your-mouth feeling.
You can slice and season the potatoes a few hours in advance. Place them in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can serve them at room temperature, or you can reheat them.
Preheated oven (350°F/180°C) until hot, about 5-10 minutes.
Microwave: 15-second intervals until hot.
The baked sweet potato slices don’t freeze well.
However, you can freeze the raw, sliced, and seasoned rounds for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before roasting.
How to serve?
- Side dish: Try them with Air Fryer Meatloaf, Air Fryer Pork Roast, Easy Air Fryer Turkey Legs, Thanksgiving Chicken (with Gravy)v, or Garlic Butter Chicken Wings.
- Main course: Serve with sauteed Brussels sprouts or Honey Sriracha Brussels Sprouts. Or any other favorite vegetable side dish.
- Make a bowl with sweet potatoes, rice, other grains, black beans, freshly chopped vegetables, or your favorite roasted vegetables. Pour some tahini sauce on top.
More Quick Side Dishes
Give my quick recipes a try for your next family meal! Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance!
Baked Sweet Potato Slices (Sweet or Savory)
- Baking sheet
- 1 lb sweet potatoes 450 g, Note 1
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Note 2
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes Note 3
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/ 200°C. Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into even, thick rounds using a large sharp knife. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss with olive oil or melted butter, or melted coconut oil if making the sweet version.
- Savory version: Sprinkle cumin, coriander, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper all over the potatoes in the bowl. Toss well to coat.
- Sweet version: Sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt all over the sweet potato slices in the bowl. Toss well.
- Bake: Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the hot oven for about 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small to medium ones. The sweet potatoes should be long rather than round so that the slices are smaller and more even. You can halve the slices to make them smaller if they are very round.
- If making the sweet version, you can use 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil instead.
- You can substitute them with a pinch of cayenne pepper to taste.
- The nutrition is calculated for the savory version.