This Thermomix mac and cheese recipe is the easiest and fastest way of cooking this favorite dish. Only 4 ingredients and 6 minutes to make the cheese sauce.
Have you ever made macaroni and cheese in the Thermomix? If not, you really should! There’s no faster way of cooking mac and cheese than in the Thermomix. You have to cook the pasta separately, but making the cheese sauce is a breeze.
For more mac and cheese recipes, check out Simple Mac and Cheese without Flour, White Cheddar Mac and Cheese, or Tuna Mac and Cheese. Or you can use the kitchen gadget to make Easy Thermomix Pizza Dough, Easy Thermomix Falafel, or the Best Hummus without Garlic.
Why should you use the Thermomix for mac and cheese?
- Super fast: It literally takes about 5-6 minutes to cook a perfectly smooth, delicious sauce that is just as amazing as any sauce cooked traditionally.
- Super easy: You don’t even have to bother grating the cheese; the machine will manage that in just a few seconds.
- Four ingredients: Pasta, cheese, milk, and flour. Not counting the spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg).
- Leftover cheese: The recipe uses cheese leftovers; that’s one of the reasons I love it so much. There is always some forgotten cheese wedge or slice lingering somewhere in the fridge. When I have enough, I throw them all in the Thermomix and make macaroni and cheese.
I use the Thermomix TM31, but you can use either the previous or the following models (TM 5 or TM 6).
Thermomix weighs the ingredients using the metric system, so it should be easier to follow those numbers.
I recommend cleaning the kitchen gadget immediately after pouring out the sauce. See Recipe FAQ for more information on how to clean the bowl of the machine.
The recipe makes a lot of sauce, definitely enough for a macaroni package (about 1 lb/ 500 g). If you want to keep the dish lighter, mix this amount of sauce with 1 ½ boxes of pasta (1 ½ lb/ 750 g) or make less sauce. It will still be creamy and taste great, even if less sauce is involved.
Never use pre-grated cheese to make cheese sauce; its preservatives will prevent it from melting nicely, resulting in a grainy, clumpy sauce.
- Cheese: You will need 250 g/ 9 oz.
- As mentioned above, I mostly use a mixture of leftover cheese and whatever I find in the refrigerator.
- However, Gouda or Cheddar would be perfect if you only use one kind.
- You can also include Swiss, mozzarella, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, Colby, Colby-Jack, Fontina, Parmesan, etc.
- Milk: Whole milk or milk with at least 1.5 % fat.
- All-purpose flour to thicken the sauce.
- Spices: Fine sea salt or Kosher salt, ground black pepper, and nutmeg (optional but very nice).
- Pasta: Elbow macaroni or any other short pasta shape.
How to cook mac n cheese in the Thermomix?
- Cook pasta: Set the water for the pasta. Once it’s boiling, add salt very generously, stir and then add the pasta. Set the timer according to the package instructions. Most pasta sorts need between 8 and 11 minutes to be cooked, enough time for you to get the sauce ready.
- Make the cheese sauce: Once the pasta is in the pot, cut the cheese into cubes. Place them in the Thermomix and process them until finely grated: 10-13 seconds/ Speed 6 (1).
- Add milk, flour, salt, pepper, and a few good gratings of nutmeg (2).
- Cook for 5 minutes/ 90°C/ Speed 4.
- Combine mac n cheese: Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Pour the sauce on top and stir well. Serve immediately (3).
Any of them. I have an older model (TM31), but you can use any of the new ones to make this Thermomix macaroni and cheese recipe. Or the really old version of the machine.
As mentioned above, it works best if you clean it immediately after pouring out the sauce using a kitchen brush to scrape off all the cheese rests.
If you can’t do it immediately, fill the bowl with hot water, add a few drops of dish soap, and stir a bit. Once the cheese rests are soft again, you can clean the bowl with a brush and a sponge.
I tried cleaning the machine the way instructed by the manufacturers, which is to cook the water with detergent in the machine itself. However, I was always unhappy with the results; it takes a long time, wastes energy, and the results could be better. You still have to disassemble the bowl and knife to get things clean.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freeze in an airtight container or a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge.
Microwave: Place the leftovers and a splash of milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, for 30 seconds. Stir and continue reheating at 30 seconds intervals and stirring until the food is hot.
Stovetop: Mix leftovers and a splash of milk (enough to loosen the dish) in a small saucepan (preferably nonstick). Reheat on low heat, stirring frequently.
How to serve?
Thermomix mac and cheese is best served immediately, but you can reheat the leftovers.
We usually have it as the main dish; in this case, the dish will serve 5-6 people. On the side, you can make a simple green salad or cabbage salad (preferably without mayonnaise).
You will have enough for 8 to 10 people as a side dish. How about serving it with this Thanksgiving Chicken Recipe (also great for Christmas), Hot Lemon Pepper Wings, or Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs? Or you can check out 30+ side dishes and main dish recipes that go well with macaroni and cheese.
More Quick Pasta Recipes
Italian Sauces for Pasta and More
Give my quick recipes a try for your next family meal! Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance!
Easy Thermomix Mac and Cheese
- Large pot
- 1 lb elbow macaroni pasta 450 - 500 g, Note 1
- 250 g cheese Gouda, sharp Cheddar or mixed cheese leftovers 9 oz Notes 2,3
- 160 ml milk whole or at least 1.5% fat
- 20 g all-purpose flour 0.7 oz/ 2 ½ tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt or Kosher
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- a few good gratings of nutmeg
- Cook pasta: Set the water for the pasta. Once the water is boiling, add salt very generously, stir and then add the pasta. Set the timer according to the package instructions. Most pasta sorts need between 8 and 11 minutes to be ready, enough time for you to get the sauce ready.
- Cheese sauce: Once the macaroni are in the pot, cut the cheese into cubes. Place them in the bowl of the Thermomix. Process for 10-13 seconds/ Speed 6 until finely grated.
- Add milk, flour, salt, pepper, and a few good gratings of nutmeg. Sprinkle the flour and spices between the knife blades and not on top of the knife.
- Cook for 5 minutes/ 90°C/ Speed 4.
- Combine: Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Pour the sauce on top and stir well. Serve immediately (Note 4).
- Substitute macaroni pasta with any other short shape of pasta.
- I mostly use a mix of cheeses, whatever I find in the refrigerator. If you only use one sort of cheese, sharp Cheddar or Gouda would be perfect. You can add Swiss, mozzarella, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, Colby, Colby-Jack, Fontina, Parmesan, etc.
- Never use pre-shredded cheese to make mac and cheese; its preservatives will prevent it from melting nicely, and the sauce will be grainy.
- Clean the bowl of the Thermomix and the knife immediately or follow the instructions found in Recipe FAQ.