Air fryer baked sweet potatoes served with butter or any other topping of your choice. This is one of the easiest ways of cooking these comforting veggies.
I have a thing for sweet potatoes… I love them! Baked slices, sauteed, in a salad, or as puree, it doesn’t matter! But, lately, my favorite ones have been these comforting Baked Sweet Potato Slices.
They are supposed to be served as a main dish (usually), but they make the main meal most of the time for us. A salad or other veggies on the side are all you need. A healthy, complete, and delicious meal, with practically no work involved at all. And if you like cooking veggies in this wonderful kitchen gadget, try the Quick Air Fryer Asparagus.
Check some of our air fryer recipes with meat or fish: Air Fryer Lamb Chops, Air Fryer Frozen Calamari, and Air Fryer Frozen Fish Sticks.
What do you need?
- 4 medium ones to serve 2-4 people. If you serve them as a side dish, 1 per person is enough. If you serve them as a main meal, then you would probably need 2 per serving.
- Make sure they are of similar size so that they will bake evenly.
- A medium one weighs about 4-4.6 oz (115-130 g). If they are smaller or larger it won’t matter that much, just make sure you adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Also, slender and longer ones will cook faster than those that are rounder and thicker.
- You can cook more than four at a time, as many as they will snuggly fit in the basket of the machine. However, don’t overcrowd the basket, there should be enough space between them so that air can circulate properly.
Other ingredients: a small amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper to rub the potatoes.
- Wash potatoes very well if they are very dirty scrub them with a kitchen brush. Dry well with kitchen towels. If they are wet, they will steam instead of frying and that’s not what you want. You want the skin to be crispy.
- Poke them all over with a fork.
- Rub well with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 40 to 50 minutes, flipping halfway.
Tips and FAQ
How long to roast them?
The cooking time depends significantly on the size of the potatoes. Make sure you check after 40 minutes, even sooner if they are smaller. You want them to be tender on the inside, but they will become mushy if overcooked.
Do I have to wrap them in foil?
No, I never do. The skin would be soft instead of crispy; it can even get slightly slimy.
Can I bake them in the oven?
Of course, you can go the traditional way. Place the cleaned, poked, and rubbed root vegetables on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) until fork-tender. But, again, the baking time depends very much on their size and shape.
Can I eat their skin?
Definitely, it is nice and crispy, and packed with vitamins and fibers. Make sure that you clean the sweet potatoes very well before cooking.
How to prepare for serving?
- Cut a simple slit or an X on the top of the potatoes.
- Carefully pull the skin apart. Hot! Use forks or spoons or wear kitchen mitts.
- Gently mash a little of the flesh with a fork.
- Top with a knob of salted butter and allow it to melt slightly before serving.
Can I serve them sweet?
Make the slit mentioned above on top. Top with the butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown/white sugar to taste.
How to store and freeze?
Keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge. Or wrap individually in plastic foil and freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat them in the air fryer, microwave, or oven. The skin will not be crispy anymore, but it will still be delicious.
Other topping ideas
- Top them with sour cream or Greek yogurt generously spiced with grated garlic, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with chives or other fresh herbs.
- Add a dollop of guacamole or avocado slices and sprinkle with cheese.
- Make Jacket Sweet Potatoes. Top with the ingredients of choice including cheese and place back in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Mix about ¾ cup (100 g) grated cheese (Cheddar, Gouda, or similar) with 3-4 teaspoons mayonnaise and 1 finely sliced green onion. Season to taste. Top the potato and air fry for another couple of minutes or until the cheese is melted. This is my favorite filling for regular baked potatoes as well.
More air fryer recipes:
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- 1 Air fryer
- 4 medium sweet potatoes weighing about 4-4.6 oz/ 115-130 g (Note)
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer, if necessary. Place in the basket.
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Wash and dry the sweet potatoes very thoroughly. Pierce them all over with a fork. Rub well with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for 40 to 50 minutes, depending on their size and shape. Flip halfway through using tongs. Slender, longer sweet potatoes will cook faster than thick round ones.