Delicious crispy baked lemon pepper wings – this is an easy and irresistible chicken wing recipe made with just a few ingredients.
This oven baked lemon pepper wings recipe is easy to prepare and ready in less than one hour. They are the perfect appetizer for any party, super bowl, game day, or whatever else you are celebrating. And they’re also great on a regular weeknight or weekend, preferably served with a nice dip in front of the television.
Check out more oven-baked chicken wings: Baked Cajun Chicken Wings or the Garlic Butter Chicken Wings; you will love them.
What will you love about this recipe?
- A healthier alternative to deep-fried wings.
- Just a few minutes of prep time and easy clean-up.
- Only a few simple ingredients.
- Crispy on the outside and juicy inside, with an incredible lemony and peppery flavor.
- Chicken wings which are separated into wingettes and flats (drumettes). I had about 2 lbs (1 kg), but you can make as many wings as you can fit on the tray in a single layer.
- Lemon pepper: A store-bought seasoning mixture containing lemon zest, black pepper, and salt. It’s usually easy to find in a regular grocery store. Try these Honey Lemon Pepper Wings too.
- Olive oil: About 2 tablespoons, just enough to coat the wings and help the seasoning adhere to them.
- More spices: 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
How to bake lemon pepper chicken wings?
- Dry wings well with paper towels (1) and place them in a large bowl.
- Coat them with oil and all the spices (2).
- Bake: Arrange them on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper and a baking rack (3) and bake at high heat in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
Divide whole wings at the joint: Cut with a sharp chef’s knife through the wing joint. If you find the right spot, you should not encounter much resistance. Move the blade to find the right place between the bones if you do. Remove the wing tip as well if it’s still attached.
Dry the wings very well before adding the oil and the seasoning. This step helps make the lemon pepper chicken wings even crispier.
Chill the pieces in the fridge for extra crispy wings if you have the time. Dry and place them uncovered in the fridge for about two hours. It’s an optional step, but it helps.
Place the wings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, preferably on a wire rack. This ensures that the air circulates all around the pieces, making them crispier. If you don’t have a rack, spray the foil on the baking sheet with cooking spray and flip the wings halfway through.
Definitely, use any seasoning mixture or dry rub you prefer, like Cajun or Italian seasoning or a simple chicken seasoning mixture.
Mix salt, ground black pepper, and some of your favorite spices, for instance, garlic or onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, dried herbs, curry powder, and so on.
You can. Check out Crispy Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings.
Check with an instant-read meat thermometer; the internal temperature should be 165°F/75°C (Amazon affiliate link). If you don’t have a thermometer, tear one wing; the flesh should be white.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag for 2-3 months. Defrost in the fridge and reheat before serving.
Reheat in the air fryer basket at 390°F/ 200°C for about 5 minutes until heated through and crisp again.
Reheat in the preheated oven at 350°F/180°C on a lined baking sheet for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
How to serve the crispy chicken wings?
- Easy appetizer: They are delicious without any dip or only with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. But of course, you can serve them with your favorite dip.
- Main course: Serve them with crispy oven-baked, mashed potatoes, Spring Onion Potato Salad, Soda Bread without Buttermilk, Creamy Ricotta Mac and Cheese, Mac and Cheese without Flour, etc.
Check out the web story for this recipe: How to bake Crispy Lemon Pepper Wings
More chicken wing recipes
- Hot Lemon Chicken Wings
- How to Parboil Chicken Wings
- Baked Curry Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Wings
Crispy Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- Baking sheet
- Wire rack
- 2 lbs chicken wings 1 kg, Note 1
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/ 220°C. Line a baking sheet with foil and place an oven wire rack on top (Note 2).
- Dry the wings very well with paper towels. Place them in a large bowl, pour the oil on top, and toss to coat.
- Season: Add lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt and toss well to coat all over.
- Bake: Arrange the pieces on the prepared baking tray in a single layer and bake for 40-45 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- Check with an instant-read thermometer; the temperature should be 165°F/ 75°C. Or tear one wing; the flesh should be white without pink or red spots.
- Chicken wings separated into wingettes and flats. If you only have whole wings, check out the blog post to learn how to cut them.
- The wire rack is optional but recommendable. If you don’t have one, spray the aluminum foil with oil and turn the wings halfway.