Enjoy a delicious bowl of carrot and broccoli soup that's both tasty and good for you. This soup combines the flavors of carrots and broccoli, resulting in a creamy and comforting meal that's perfect for the whole family.
Whether you want a comforting or nutritious meal, this carrot and broccoli soup is a great choice. So, take your time, enjoy each spoonful, and appreciate the pleasant taste that only homemade dishes can offer.
Carrots and broccoli are simmered together, producing a smooth, satisfying soup. The carrots bring sweetness, while the roasted broccoli adds more flavor and a bit of texture. This broccoli carrot soup is delicious and packed with vitamins and nutrients to keep you healthy.
- Vegetables: Carrots, broccoli roasted until tender, and potatoes to thicken the soup and make it creamy.
- You will also need aromatics like onion and garlic.
- Lots of spices like onion and garlic powder, smoked paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, or red chili flakes for a bit of heat.
- Heavy cream: A rich and creamy dairy product to make the broccoli and carrot soup creamy and velvety in texture.
- You can replace it with a vegan alternative, like coconut cream, coconut milk, cashew cream or butter, almond, soy, or oat milk or cream.
- Parmesan cheese lends a salty and savory flavor.
- For a vegetarian version of this carrot broccoli soup, substitute it with vegetarian hard cheese. To make the soup vegan, replace it with about ⅓ cup (50 g) nutritional yeast.
- Other ingredients: Vegetable broth, olive oil, a bit of fresh lemon juice, fine sea salt, and ground black pepper.
How to make carrot and broccoli soup?
- Broccoli: Remove the stem and peel it. Cut it into small pieces; you will cook the pieces in the soup.
- Divide the broccoli florets for roasting, and toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Roast the seasoned florets in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes (1,2).
- Sauté: Start with the onions. Once they are glossy, add chopped broccoli stem, potatoes, carrots, and garlic.
- Simmer: Stir in the spices (3) and add the vegetable broth (4). Simmer for about 20 minutes until softened (5).
- Blend the soup, add the cream and the cheese (6), and blend again (7). Stir in the roasted broccoli and adjust the taste (8).
Immersion blender: It's the top choice for pureeing soups and hot liquids, minimizing the risk of blender lid mishaps.
If you opt for a stand blender, follow these safety steps:
- Allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Blend it in smaller batches, filling the blender only halfway.
- Securely place a folded kitchen towel on the blender, holding it steady with your hand.
- Gradually increase the blending speed.
- Transfer the creamy soup to a separate container and repeat the process for the remaining batch.
- Add fresh herbs like thyme, parsley, or chives for an extra layer of flavor and a touch of freshness. Garnishing with herbs just before serving can make a noticeable difference.
- Cream substitutes: If you're using a vegan cream substitute like coconut milk or cashew cream, add it gradually and taste as you go to achieve the desired creaminess without overwhelming the flavors.
- Consistency control: If your soup turns out thicker than you'd like, you can thin it with vegetable broth. If it's too thin, simmer it a bit longer to reduce and thicken.
How to store and reheat?
- Refrigerate the broccoli and carrot soup in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Freeze it for up to 3 months and defrost it in the fridge.
- Reheat the soup on the stovetop or the microwave.
What to serve with broccoli carrot soup?
Or check out What to Serve with Potato Soup for another 25 delicious ideas.
More fast and delicious soup recipes
- Carrot and Celery Soup
- Leek and Potato Soup without Cream
- Easy Lebanese Lentil Soup
- Chicken and Cabbage Soup
- Panera Black Bean Soup
- 4-Ingredient Potato Soup
Give my quick recipes a try for your next family meal! Feel free to reach out if you need any assistance!
Carrot and Broccoli Soup
- Soup pot
- Baking sheet
- Immersion blender Note 1
- 1 broccoli about 1 lb/ 450 g; florets and stem divided, Note 2
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2-3 medium carrots about 7 oz/ 200 g, chopped
- 1 potato about 9 oz/ 250 g, peeled and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red chili flakes + another pinch for the broccoli
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 cups vegetable broth 700 ml
- ½ cup heavy cream 125 ml, Note 3
- ½ cup Parmesan freshly grated, about 1 oz/ 30 g, Note 4
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Broccoli: Cut and peel the broccoli stem. Cut it into small pieces; you will cook them in the soup. 1 lb/ 450 g broccoli
- Roast broccoli florets: Divide the broccoli florets for roasting, and toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of red chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Roast the seasoned florets in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Chop the vegetables, but keep the onions separated. 1 onion + 2 carrots + 1 potato + 2 garlic cloves
- Sauté: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes until glossy. Add the chopped broccoli stalk, potatoes, carrots, and garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add all the spices and stir for about 1 minute. 1 teaspoon garlic powder + 1 teaspoon onion powder + 1 teaspoon coriander + 1 teaspoon cumin + ½ teaspoon turmeric + ½ teaspoon smoked paprika + ¼ - ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (to taste) + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Simmer: Pour in the vegetable broth, bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat. Simmer with the lid slightly ajar for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft. 3 cups/ 700 ml vegetable broth
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender, add the cream and the cheese, and blend again. Stir in the roasted broccoli florets and adjust the taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper. ½ cup/ 125 ml heavy cream + ½ cup/ 30 g Parmesan + 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice (to taste) + salt + pepper
- Blending the soup: An immersion blender is the best choice. If you use a stand blender, allow the soup to cool for 5-10 minutes, blend it in batches, gradually increasing the blending speed, and place a folded kitchen towel on the blender’s lid, holding it steady with your hand while blending.
- Broccoli: You will cook the chopped stem in the soup and roast the florets in the oven.
- Cream: For a vegan carrot and broccoli soup, replace the cream with coconut cream or coconut milk, almond/ oat/ soy milk or cream, or cashew cream or butter.
- Parmesan is not vegetarian. To make the soup vegetarian, replace it with vegetarian hard cheese. To make the soup vegan, replace it with about ⅓ cup (50 g) nutritional yeast.