Tomato Mozzarella Flatbread Pizza – the easiest homemade pizza you could possibly make. With many extra topping ideas.
15 Minutes Margherita Flatbread Pizza
The perfect recipe for days when you just know you don’t have the time or the energy for much cooking. Or for a movie dinner, like my children wish to have from time to time. An evening spent together watching a family film and mostly eating homemade pizza. And if I want to be really quick with it, I choose this kind of recipe instead of making dough from scratch.
The Margherita Flatbread Pizza can be made within 15 minutes, it only takes moments to top with whatever you like and only needs about 10 minutes in the oven. And there are actually no limits when it comes to toppings. See below for some ideas, but keep in mind that you can actually put whatever you like on it.
What kind of bread to use?
- Naan or pita:
- Easy to find and reasonably sized.
- One is normally enough for one portion.
- If it’s small, you can always top two per person.
- I use thick Turkish bread very often (like in the pictures).
- When using this kind, you should always split it in half, otherwise, the slices will be way too bready.
- A thick one split in half is enough for 2 adults and 1-2 children.
Middle Eastern bread:
- Thin Lebanese or Syrian, if available. It’s perfect as well.
- No need or no way to split it.
- They are thin but large, one should be enough for 2 adults.
- If it’s smaller, use as much as you consider necessary.
Other kinds of bread:
- If you don’t have any of these pieces of bread in the house, but you are still in the mood for a super quick dinner, use some slices of (stale) toasted sourdough bread.
- I can’t recall how many times I’ve done that, it is not exactly pizza, but it tastes great.
- About 2 large slices of sourdough bread per person should be enough. And 1 slice for the children.
How to make the best flatbread pizza recipe?
- You will have a hard time finding an easier recipe!
- Basically, split the bread (if necessary), smear it with a flavorful tomato sauce (bought or homemade) and top it with whatever you like.
- See below some topping ideas, but keep in mind that you can top it with whatever you like.
- Check the Hearty Marinara Sauce, you can use it to smear the pizza bread with it.
Topping ideas for the flatbread pizza
Burrata and prosciutto:
- This is the luxury version.
- Base + sauce + dried oregano + burrata slices. Bake and top with thin slices of prosciutto crudo and rocket leaves. So good!!!
- Base + sauce + dried oregano + mozzarella slices. Bake and top with fresh basil leaves.
- Kids’ favorite.
- Base + sauce + dried oregano + grated cheese + thin salami/ pepperoni slices.
- Hawaiian style: Base + sauce + chopped cooked ham + grated cheese + canned pineapple slices or cubes.
- Chicken: Base + regular or barbecue sauce + cooked chicken pieces + thinly sliced onion + grated cheese.
- Veggie: Base + sauce + dried oregano + cooked veggies of choice (any leftovers, even potatoes) + sliced olives + grated cheese (or blue cheese, mozzarella, etc.).
Can you make it on the stovetop?
- Yes. Use bread that will easily fit in a large pan.
- Brush it lightly with oil on both sides.
- Top with your chosen topping.
- Heat a non-stick pan or a cast-iron skillet.
- Place the bread in the pan. Cover with the lid. Using a lid keeps the heat inside and helps melt the cheese.
- Once the bread is heated through and the cheese is nicely melted, transfer it to a plate.
- Add fresh herbs or other fresh toppings and serve.
How to serve?
Margherita flatbread is best served immediately. But cooled leftovers are great as well and they make a great lunch box for school or working place. Leftovers will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container and can be reheated in the oven.
Fast Margherita Flatbread
- 1 flatbread Note 2
- 2-3 tablespoons pasta or pizza sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Margherita flatbread:
- 1 mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves
- Burrata flatbread:
- 1 burrata
- 4 slices prosciutto crudo
- handful rocket leaves
- Pepperoni flatbread:
- 6-8 salami or pepperoni slices depending on size, use as needed
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If using Turkish bread split it in half, lengthwise. No need to split thin Lebanese bread or naan bread.
- Smear with pasta or pizza sauce and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Top with sliced mozzarella. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through. Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Top with torn burrata. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through. Top with prosciutto crudo slices and rocket leaves.
- Top with grated cheese and thin salami or pepperoni slices. Bake for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through.
- Slice the flatbread pizza and serve immediately.
- The nutrition is calculated for Margherita flatbread pizza made on a large flatbread.
- Either 1 large Turkish flatbread, 1-2 naan pieces of bread (depending on size), or 1 Lebanese flatbread (they are usually very large but use as needed).