These brownie blondies are easy to make, super delicious, and ready in less than 30 minutes. All you need are seven ingredients and one bowl.
I’ve always had a “thing” for brownies, I love them, and I bake them often; I must have tried what feels like 100 recipes until now. And this blond brownie recipe is just as impressive, one of the best desserts for me! The same dense, satisfying texture, sweet and comforting, perfect with a cup of coffee (or milk if you like milk). Try these White Chocolate and Raspberry Blondies as well; you will love them!
Why will you love this recipe?
- Super delicious, everything you expect when having a blond brownie: the delicious brownie texture without the chocolate, but with a hint of butterscotch flavor.
- Fast: Ready in less than 30 minutes. Five minutes to stir the ingredients and about 22 minutes baking time.
- Easy: No baking skills required. Mix everything and bake as instructed. My kids can bake these blondie brownies on their own.
- No mixer needed: All you need is one bowl, a spoon, a whisk, and a small, square baking pan of 8×8 inches(20×20 cm). Or use a small glass pan of similar size.
- Potluck recipe: A fabulous recipe to bake in advance and transport easily to any party.
As mentioned above, you will only need seven ingredients.
- Flour: Plain all-purpose flour is perfect. I prefer to use a scale when measuring flour and butter; it is the only way to ensure that any baking recipe is the way it is supposed to be.
- Unsalted butter: preferably European-style butter with at least 80% fat. Low-fat butter or spread is not suitable for this easy blondie recipe.
- Brown sugar: I prefer light brown sugar to make blondies, but if all you have is dark brown sugar, that will be fine as well. White sugar is not typically used for blondies; you need the slight caramel notes of the brown sort. Together with the vanilla, it imparts the blondies their typical butterscotch flavor.
- Walnuts: My favorite nuts for making blondies or brownies. However, any other nuts you like are great. Use pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, and so on.
- Chocolate chips: Milk or semisweet chocolate chips. For a change, try white chocolate chips; they are delicious as well.
- Other ingredients: one large egg, vanilla extract, and a pinch of fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven and prepare a small baking pan. Grease it lightly, line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Alternatively, place it in a bowl and melt it in the microwave. Pour the melted butter into a medium bowl.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk well (1).
- Whisk in the egg (2).
- Combine flour and salt, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, whisk again (3).
- Stir in the chopped walnuts and the chocolate chips using a spoon or a rubber spatula (4).
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
- Transfer the blondie batter to the prepared pan (5).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes; my blondie brownies needed precisely 22 minutes. They should be lightly golden brown around the edges but still slightly undercooked in the middle (6).
- Let cool in the pan. Cut into squares before serving (7).
When baking, it’s preferable to use a kitchen scale; it takes the guessing out of baking and ensures the best results. Using too much flour will result in a cakey, tough cake. If using cups, spoon the flour into the cup and level it with a knife.
When lining the baking pan with parchment paper leaving some overhang on two sides of the pan. This step will make it easier to lift the blonde brownies from the pan.
Don’t overcook. They should be slightly undercooked in the middle, as they will continue to cook as they cool in the pan.
How to store them?
Let them cool, cut them, and keep them in an airtight container. The brownie blondies will be perfect for at least 3 days when kept at room temperature and at least 5-6 days if kept in the refrigerator.
How to freeze them?
Let them cool completely, cut into squares, and freeze solid on a tray or large plate. Once frozen, transfer to freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. Then, defrost in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for a few hours.
Easy Brownie Blondies Recipe
- Baking pan 8×8 inch (20×20 cm)
- 1 stick unsalted butter Note 2
- 1 cup brown sugar Note 3
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips Note 4
- ½ cup chopped walnuts Note 5
- Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Lightly grease an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) baking pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving an overhang so that you can easily lift the blondies once cool.
- Batter: Melt the butter in a small saucepan or place it in a stirring bowl and melt it in the microwave. Add brown sugar and vanilla extract. Whisk well. Whisk in the egg. Add flour and salt, combine. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts with a spoon.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes (I needed exactly 22 minutes) or until lightly brown around the edges but still slightly undercooked in the middle (Note 6). Let cool in the pan.
- Cut into squares before serving.
- It’s preferable to use a kitchen scale when baking; it ensures the best results. Using too much flour will result in a cakey, tough blondie. If using cups, spoon the flour into the cup and level it with a knife.
- Preferably unsalted butter with at least 80% fat. Don’t use reduced-fat butter, spread, or margarine for making blondies or brownies.
- Light or dark brown sugar.
- Milk or semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate. For a change, use white chocolate chips.
- Or other nuts you like (pecans, macadamia, hazelnuts, almonds).