Simple Mac and Cheese without Flour
The creamiest mac and cheese without flour, a comforting and addictive dish! Ready in about 30 minutes.
- 1 lb elbow pasta macaroni, Note 1
- 2 cups Cheddar Note 2
- 8 slices American cheese 6 oz
- 1 ½ cups half and half or only cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or Kosher
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup Panko breadcrumbs only if baking the mac and cheese
Cook pasta according to the package instruction and drain well.
Shred the Cheddar cheese and tear the American cheese slices into smaller pieces. Set aside.
Make sauce: Mix half and half, butter, salt, pepper, mustard, paprika, garlic powder in a saucepan. Warm for about 2 minutes, but don't let it boil.
Melt cheese: Add all the cheese and stir gently on low heat until the cheese melts. Don't let it become too hot or come to a boil.
Combine: Add drained pasta and stir to coat. Adjust the taste with a bit of salt and pepper if necessary.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Butter a baking dish.
Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than indicated on the package; it will continue to cook in the oven. Drain well.
Sauce: Make the sauce as instructed above. Mix with pasta and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the dish is golden and bubbly.
- Or any other kind of short pasta like penne, farfalle, rotini, rigatoni, etc.
- Or other cheese kinds like Gouda, Gruyere, Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, Colby, or a combination. Add some mozzarella to the mix to make the dish stretchy if you like.
Calories: 648kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 1190mg | Potassium: 346mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 953IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 665mg | Iron: 2mg