Spicy Mexican Tuna Salad
This spicy Mexican tuna salad recipe is packed with flavor and made in no time with just a few simple ingredients. Serve it in a sandwich or with tortilla chips, avocado, and lettuce.
Keyword mexican tuna salad, tuna salad mexican style
Prep Time 10 minutes minutes
Cook Time 1 minute minute
Servings 6 people
Mexican tuna salad:
- 12 oz tuna in water 350 g, Note 1
- ½ cup corn from a can, 2 oz/ 50 g, Note 2
- ⅔ cup kidney beans from a can, 3 oz/ 85 g
- 1 small onion white or red, about 2 oz/50 g
- 2 small celery stalks ½ cup chopped/ 55 g
- 1 small green pepper 3.5 oz/ 100 g
- 1 ½ tablespoons pickled jalapenos Note 3
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 lime about 2 ½ tablespoons of juice
- ½ cup mayonnaise 2 oz/ 55 g, Note 4
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 avocado
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- tortilla chips
Drain the cans of tuna, corn, and beans. Place them all in a large bowl. 12 oz (350 g) tuna + ½ cup (50 g) corn + ⅔ cup (85 g) beans Finely chop the onion, celery, bell pepper, jalapenos, and cilantro. Add them to the bowl. 1 small onion + 2 celery stalks + 1 small bell pepper + 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro Combine tuna salad: Add the mayonnaise, lime juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine. ½ cup (55 g) mayonnaise + 2 ½ Tbsp lime sugar + 1 tsp sugar + salt and pepper to taste
Adjust the taste with more salt, pepper, and lime juice if necessary.
Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mingle. Stir, taste, and adjust the taste again if required.
Serve with sliced avocado, chopped lettuce, and tortilla chips. 1 avocado + ½ iceberg lettuce + tortilla chips
- Tuna in oil is also great. In this case, you might need less mayonnaise. Start with about 1/3 cup and add a bit more to taste.
- Canned corn: Substitute with cooked corn from a cob.
- Jalapenos: For more heat, you can add more. And add some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or chili flakes to taste.
- Substitute mayonnaise: For a lighter version, use Greek yogurt, sour cream, or softened cream cheese mixed with a bit of milk or jalapeno brine to make it slightly runnier.
Serving: 1portion from 6 | Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 296mg | Potassium: 497mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 463IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg